15 March 2012

...I know how to cook....


...while visiting my cousins in London a few weeks ago she introduced me to the bible of all french cooking- I know how to cook, which has been the best selling cookbook in France for three generations.  It was originally written in 1932 by Ginette Mathiot & has since been translated into english for the first time.  It contains french classics for all to enjoy, & while many of us use the internet for most of our recipes these days- it's nice to go by the book every now & again.  This one is on my wish list for sure.... the french version of course {wink}.


 Amazing illustrations as well....don't you think?  My kind of spread!  I've been eyeing the almond macaron recipe...who doesn't love macarons?!?

Macarons Aux Amandes
Butter for greasing
2 3/4 cups ground almonds
3 egg whites
2 1/2 cups superfine sugar

Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Serves 6

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees fahrenheit & line a baking sheet with buttered parchment paper.  Put the almonds in a bowl and mix in the egg whites a little at a time.  Stir in the sugar & mix well.  Form the dough into slightly flattened balls & place on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment